12.6.08

The day after - down to Montrose

The alarm was set for a luxurious 8am, but through habit I was wide awake at 6.  I stayed in bed till 7, then got dressed and went over to the Seaview for breakfast.  It was a sunny morning so I cycled down to the seafront for a wander before heading off to Thurso to catch the train down to Montrose.

I had been warned that it could be very problematic getting your bike on the Thurso-Inverness train as it only accommodates 2 bikes.  I had tried to make a cycle reservation before setting off but the best I could come up with was a code given to me over the phone, and this had been worrying me the whole trip.  Would the code work, and would I get to my destination?

I had plenty of time, and for once the wind was behind me as I headed along the coast road past the Gills Bay ferry port (to the Orkneys) and the road to the Dunnet Head lighthouse, which I had visited as a child.  By 12 I was in Thurso and eating a sausage roll in the pedestrianised High Street.  At the train station I was assured that my code would be sufficient to ensure a place on the train, and I was reassured to see that there weren't any other cyclists waiting.


On the train I met up with Laurence and Mark (as we had arranged) who had caught the train at Wick and talked more about our journeys.  Laurence was obviously a keen cyclist, but Mark (stoker of the tandem) had never ridden more than 40 miles before setting of on their 9-day LEJoG, which made his accomplishment all the more amazing.

I had to change trains in Inverness and Aberdeen before arriving in Montrose at 9pm.  From there I cycled the last 6 miles to the seaside destination where I would spend the next couple of weeks relaxing and reflecting on the events of the week just gone.

6 comments:

Chris Gutowski said...

FANTASTIC REPORT. I'm planning my attempt for Jogle in May 2010 when I'll be 52 and will be using a lot of the information you've provided. One question though - any thoughts about choosing the A9 route as opposed to Loch Lomond/Glencoe?

Fred said...

Hi Chris, thanks for the kind words. Never having ridden the westerly route I can't really compare, but the stretch of the A9 from Pitlochry to Inverness was one of the highlight of the whole trip for me. Although it's a fairly busy road the gradients are gentle and the views inspiring.

Good luck and I'll happily answer any other questions you have.

Chris Gutowski said...

I'm planning along the lines of the Cracknell Romero planned attempt at the tandem world record which is very similar to yours. There are 3 differences between the 2 though.

1) I'm leaning towards the C/R choice of A30 to Exeter and follow M5 thereafter.

2) I'm planning to follow your route North of Bristol ie across the Severn and up to the A49.

3) Planning to follow tyheir more direct route to Edinburgh but then up to Perth, A9 as discussed.

I had anticipated an 8 day trip but I'm now planning for 6 (planning being the operative work), inspired by your effort. I'm sure you kind of get your fitness for those daily lengths as you're riding but I've got lots of work to do between now and May. First up is the tour of the Peak District this saturday - Winnatts pass @ 20%!

If you care to have a look at my blog, it's on

www.chrisgutowski.blogspot.com

Many thanks again and I'll certainly keep in touch.

Chris

Fred said...

If I were to do it again I'd probably stay longer on the A30 than I did. The trick is to start as early as possible (probably before dawn), and having the first day on a Sunday also helps - far fewer trucks.

I actually think it would be relatively easy to do it in 5 days (weather permitting). My first 3 days were fairly easy going, especially day 3. I've since done Audax UK's London-Edinburgh-London, which is the same mileage (just short of 900 miles) in 4 days, so anything's possible! The trick is to make your plans flexible to allow for unforeseen events.

I look forward to reading your blog!

Chris Gutowski said...

Hi again Fred

Training for me going well. I've invested in a Satmap and hope to complete in 5 days, if not 6. New questions crop up alklk the time and I have this one for you. Can youy tell me what luggage rack you used and where you bought it please?
Thanks again

Chris

Fred said...

Hi Chris

Glad to hear the training is going well. The rack was the cheapest, lightest one I could find three years ago. It's branded as Lifeline. I've had a look and they don't appear to be still on the market, but any rack would do (depending on the weight you will be carrying).

Cheers.