1.6.08

Summary - the good and bad

I thought it would be useful to summarise my overall feelings about the trip.  As things stand, I only have good memories about the whole experience - any negatives have been forgotten and I'm left with a great sense of achievement.  I thought it would also be worthwhile noting what technically worked well and what didn't.

HIGHLIGHTS

Day 2 - following the river through the Wye valley under a canopy of trees for a few miles.

Day 4 - the approach into Edinburgh on the A7, a gradual, sweeping downhill - 10 miles cruising along at speeds touching 30mph.

Day 5 - the stretch of A9 from Perth to Carrbridge through the highlands.  This was the only day I had some tailwind, and the scenery was spectacular.  There were even a few hours of sun!  Made me remember why I liked cycling.

LOW POINTS

Day 1 - the Cornish hills into a headwind with a steady drizzle.

Day 2 - the youth hostel at Leominster.  It was a pretty dreadful experience - no chair to sit on, and I couldn't even sit on the bunk bed it was so small.  No bath to soak in, and generally very depressing.  Never again - B&B's and Travelodges from now on.

Day 4 - lying awake in Dalkeith with a swollen hand worrying that I wouldn't be able to continue the next day.

Day 6 - the bridges near Inverness and the hills around Helmesdale, all into a cold and strong headwind.

EQUIPMENT

The bike and other bits of equipment were bulletproof.  Only one puncture for the entire trip and that was soon mended.  The Garmin Vista HCx was great - it froze a couple of times but this was sorted out by powering it off and on.  In the whole 870 miles I only took a couple of wrong turnings, and each time it was because I followed road signs rather than trusting the Garmin.

The Creek2Peak rackbag worked well as usual.  Unfortunately I often stashed away too much food in it, worrying about running out in the middle of nowhere (which I never did).  I actually arrived in John o'Groats with 4 large Viennese Whirls and various other luxuries totally surplus to requirements!  If future I'll try and curb my urge to make impulse purchases.

CLOTHING

I could have done with a warmer long-sleeve jersey.  On a couple of occasions I was forced to wear my waterproof jacket as an extra layer just to keep warm.  Also, in future I'll take leg-warmers rather than tights - lighter and easier to put on/take off.

The only items of clothing not worn at all were the waterproof socks, but I guess that says much about the lack of heavy rain!

ROUTE

Whilst the route couldn't be described as traditionally "picturesque", especially through much of England, it was certainly effective in making for a speedy trip without too many lumps.  Once I got used to being on A roads (much of their length being dual-carriageway) it was no more worrying than cycling around London.  I guess you get used to anything.  For added safety I left my rear light flashing for the whole day - it's bright enough to be seen in daylight.

WEATHER

I think you should just forget about the "prevailing south-westerly" winds theory that says you have a better chance of a following wind if starting from Land's End in the summer months.  I had head winds for 80% of the 6 days, and not for the first time cycling to Scotland in May either.  In fact, this year the winds blew from the east throughout the last week of April and the whole of May (five weeks in total), often veering from the north, as on my trip, especially the last day when it was particularly unpleasant.

I was lucky with rain - just a few hours on the first day and a few bits of drizzle thereafter.  Sun was at a premium also, only having a handful of hours over the six days.  Low blanket cloud was ever-present, only occasionally breaking to allow the skies to brighten.

Temperatures were low for the time of year, averaging 6 - 8c in the early morning rising to 14 - 18c in the afternoon.  Certainly not warm, and my long-sleeve top and tights were kept on for the whole trip!

CONCLUSION

I'm very glad I did it.  Now it's over I have memories that will stay with me and a sense of achievement that is palpable.  I'm glad I tried for the 6 days - it turned out to be fairly easily achievable.  A bit of me thinks I could have completed in 5 days - maybe next year!

Good luck to everyone who attempts this - you won't be disappointed. 

9 comments:

John4703 said...

Really interesting and halps me plan my LEJOG

Fred said...

Thanks John4703 - hope you have a good journey!

Spinners said...

A rattling good read! Well done!

Unknown said...

I'm planning a similar trip. Can you tell me which maps you loaded onto the Garmin? I'm planning on buying the same one but I cant' decide which map option is the best.
Thanks

Fred said...

Hi Wilbo. I used Garmin City Navigator Europe on a memory card. Plenty enough detail and can be had for under £50 on ebay. Good luck.

Chris Gutowski said...

Hi
You may remember me writing some time ago. I've just had another read of your account as 2 weeks today I hope to be well on my way.

How did you get through the darkest moments; you must have had some?

Fred said...

Not really Chris. For me I've decided it's best to be a bit blinkered and not allow any negative thoughts. I certainly never considered giving up at any stage, but I was relatively lucky with the weather and that makes a huge difference.

It certainly wouldn't have been as easy without my MP3 player to keep me company. I know it's a contentious issue, but I've never felt it puts me in greater danger that otherwise. In fact, I do far more visual checks over my shoulder and keep a steady line, so in some respects it could be seen to encourage safer cycling.

Good luck with your trip and let me know how you get on. I'm already planning a 5-day LEJoG in 2012 - I guess it really is addictive!

Jack Noble said...

Fred, your write up of this trip is inspirational and to do the lejog in 6 days solo is a great achievement.

I did the lejog myself in 10 days solo back in April this year, and that was not easy as I was loaded with camping equipment.

I am now planning to do the lejog again in November over 7.5 days which I think will be tough but is doable. I'm 26 years old and in reasonable shape so your achievement at 52 is no mean feat.

All the best for your future plans and keep on pedalling.

Jack Noble

Fred said...

Thanks for your kind words Jack. I'm thinking of having another go in 2012, this time in 5 days. It would be dependent on having decent weather and time availability. We'll see.

In the meantime I'm glad you found the blog of some use . Congratulations on your April ride and good luck for November. Please let me know how you get on, with a link to any blogs/reports you write.