19.6.08

The day before - London to Penzance

With all the gear packed and the bike checked I headed off to Paddington to get the train to Penzance.  From the window I could see all the vertiginous valleys and hills that I will have to ride tomorrow and was slightly daunted.  I hadn't been to Cornwall for many years and I'd forgotten how hilly it is.

Arriving at Penzance on a dull and rainy Saturday evening I switched on the Garmin and navigated my way to the village of Sennen where I would be staying that night.  I checked in at the Sunny Bank Hotel then set off in search of somewhere to eat.  The first two places I try had either stopped serving for the evening or (more likely) don't want someone dressed in cycling gear eating in their establishment.  I am pointed in the direction of a pub down in the bay.

I ordered a meal and noticed another cyclist sitting at a nearby table, so asked him if he is doing the end-to-end also, which he is.  Over food we discuss our routes and schedules.  As we talk I think about the hills I had seen from the train earlier and a plan forms for an alternative, flatter route for the next morning.  I had originally intended to take smaller roads through Helston, Truro and St Austell, but I realised that as I would be leaving early on a Sunday morning I should be OK to stay on the notorious A30.

Pleased with my last-minute route change I said goodnight to Crankie (his CTC forum name) and headed off to bed.

No comments: